Medical Malpractice And Personal Injury Representation From A Lawyer Who Is Also A Doctor

When should I pursue a childbirth injury claim?

On Behalf of | Apr 20, 2018 | Medical Malpractice

Having some discomfort after you give birth is completely normal. Your body has just performed an amazing feat, and a recovery period should follow. However, some Louisiana mothers experience more discomfort than others: Sometimes these strange feelings or symptoms indicate that you have sustained permanent or excessive injuries. Your injuries could be a known risk of a dangerous procedure you underwent, such as forceps delivery, but that does not necessarily preclude the idea of a legal claim.

If you feel as though pain is getting worse, or if you experience certain symptoms related to common injuries for your procedures, then you might want to seek the opinion of a second doctor. For example, according to the Mayo Clinic, a forceps-assisted delivery might result in the following birth injuries and symptoms:

  • Tearing or breaking of your uterus
  • Wounds in your birth canal
  • Inability to control defecation and urination
  • Excessive pain

Since these are known risks of a forceps procedure, and since there are risks associated with every type of delivery, it is not always clear when you should attempt to recover damages from an incompetent medical professional. Generally speaking, your doctor would have to perform the procedure poorly or fail to notify you of the risks involved to be considered liable for a malpractice claim.

The one thing that every malpractice suit has in common is the statute of limitations. This section of the law limits the amount of time you have to bring suit, so it is often advantageous to seek prompt medical assessments of any post-birth injury symptoms you might have. This would allow you to continue with further action in a timely manner if you see fit. This is not intended as legal advice. It is only meant to inform you about the subject.