Any type of industrial accident is one that can cause serious injury or even death.
Even though you are aware of the potential dangers of your career, this doesn’t mean you should move into another field. Instead, you should do whatever you can to remain safe at all times.
In addition to paying close attention to your own personal safety, it’s a good idea to discuss any concerns with your employer. Not only could this go a long way in keeping you safe, but it will do the same for your coworkers.
Here are some of the many steps you should take if you suffer an injury in an industrial accident:
- Seek medical help. In addition to on-site first-aid treatment, don’t wait to call for an ambulance. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- Notify your employer. In addition to notifying your employer of your injuries, you should also discuss the cause of your accident (and whether or not any dangerous conditions remain).
- Follow through with your treatment plan. Your medical team knows what is best for you, so it’s important that you let them guide you at all times. You must receive the necessary treatment for every injury.
- Learn more about workers’ compensation. Depending on your situation, you may be able to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. This gives you some money to help you get by while you recover from your injuries.
- Contact OSHA. Unless your employer immediately takes action to remove the dangerous condition, you should notify OSHA. Your employer does not have the right to retaliate against you for taking this action.
Finally, if you don’t believe that workers’ compensation is not your only legal avenue, you should learn more about bringing a third party claim against the negligent party. This is a more involved process, but it may be just what you need in order to receive the compensation you deserve.
Since you are facing many challenges, as well as a complex legal system, don’t delay in consulting with an experienced legal team. With an attorney guiding you, it’s much easier to make the right decisions and to feel better about what the future bring. This will give you the peace of mind you are seeking.